Are you a storymaker (i.e. writer and/or illustrator)? Then you’ll probably be interested in attending the upcoming Goethe-institut sponsored creative writing workshop. Six children´s storybook authors and six illustrators will get an opportunity to attend this groundbreaking workshop. The workshop will hold in Lagos, Nigeria from 17th to 21st March 2019.
Who Will Be Teaching And Facilitating This Workshop?
- Ute Krause, one of Germany´s best-known children´s book authors and illustrators
- And Nigerian illustrator Abdulkareem Baba Amin
The goal is to encourage writers. The organizers also seek to promote and support the development of authentic children’s literature that reflects the cultural and social reality in Nigeria.
- Only writers who are working on a book project
- Interested illustrators or graphic designers are expected to:
- have a background in art/graphic design/illustration.
- an excellent knowledge of the basics of illustration (facial expressions, movement, perspective, style).
- Illustrators will be expected to work with paper/ink and paint.
How To Apply
If you are a writer who is currently working on a book project,
- Send a short synopsis of your work
- Write a brief bio (not longer than 1-2 A4 pages) in pdf.
And email the pdf document to
Here are the submission guidelines for illustrator/graphics designer,
- Illustrators should provide a short bio (ca. 60 -100 words)
- They should also provide a portfolio of their artwork. Please do not send more than five works
- Send your work in a pdf document to firstname.lastname@example.org
Applicants will be selected based on the strength of their work samples. So don’t forget to send your strongest work. According to the press release:
Interested authors and illustrators can apply individually or as a team. Individual authors and illustrators will be paired together as a team during the workshop.
English will be the language of instruction..Serious and ardent storymakers are encouraged to apply.
Deadline for submissions: 28th February 2019
The workshop runs with an all day schedule (9am – 4pm) from Sunday, 17 to 21 March 2019.
What Will Participants Gain From The Workshop?
Writers and illustrators will get a chance to:
- Learn from the experts. Goethe institut will cover accommodation expenses and meal expenses (Breakfast and lunch. However, participants will be responsible for their own travel expenses.
- Network with established writers, teachers and publishers
- Gain valuable experience and training for free.
Other Things To Note:
There are 6 available spots for writers and 6 available spots for illustrators.
Only selected authors and illustrators will be contacted.