The 27th International Radio Playwriting Competition, hosted by BBC World Service and the British Council, is open for submission of scripts from around the world. According to the hosts, the competition “offers the unique opportunity for playwrights to use the medium of radio drama to reach an international audience.” The competition opened for entries on the 1st of October, 2019, and closes by midnight (GMT) on the 31st of January, 2020. Two winners will be selected: those with English as a first language category and the English as a second language category.
Who is Eligible to Apply?
- Writers from anywhere in the world, who live outside the UK, are eligible to apply.
- Both established and emerging writers are welcome to apply.
- Writers must be 18 years or older.
How to Apply
- Send a script of 53 minutes. Note that the script must have up to six central characters.
- Send a synopsis which outlines your play. The synopsis must be no longer than 400 words.
- The play must be written substantially or entirely in English.
- Entries must be submitted in one of the following ways:
- By post to the following address: International Playwriting Competition 2020, BBC Radio Drama, Room 6015 BBC Broadcasting House, Portland Place, London W1A 1AA, United Kingdom
- Or, by email to the following email address: email@example.com
- All entries must be accompanied by a completed copy of the entry form which can be downloaded here. All required boxes must be completed.
- £2500 sterling for the two winners.
- A broadcast of the winning play on the BBC World Service.
- A trip to London for the winner to see the winning play being recorded for broadcast.