The Iceland Writers Retreat is now open for registration. In addition to general registration, which is open to all, scholarship slots are available for those with financial need. The opportunity for talented writers to attend the retreat, which takes places in Reykjavik, Iceland in April, 2020, is made possible by the Iceland Writers Retreat Alumni Award. The scholarship is in two parts: the full and partial funding, and entrants can apply for either of the two.
Who is Eligible to Apply?
- Entrants must be aged 18 or over, on April 29, 2020.
- Entrants do not need to be professional writers but should be serious about the craft and must be interested in developing their skills.
- Entrants could come from anywhere in the world. (Note that: “Family members of the judges and those who have already attended the IWR are not eligible to apply.)
- There is no entry fee.
What does the Scholarship Cover?
Full funding covers one participant fee, four nights accommodation at the Retreat hotel (Radisson SAS Saga Hotel) and round-trip flights to Iceland.
- Partial funding covers the participant fee only; it doesn’t cover accommodation or round-trip flights.
- NOTE: It is advisable that you apply for the category that is most suitable for you. If you apply for a full award, it is “very unlikely” that you’ll be considered for a partial funding.
How to Apply
- Write a complete application that says: Why you need to funding, what your background is, why you want to attend the retreat, how you will share your experience with others.
- Your application must also include a writing sample that is not more than 1000 words long. The sample must be fiction or non-fiction or memoir, as the workshops of the retreat in 2020 will focus on those.
- Your application must also include a references. The references should be by people who are familiar with your work and are not family members.
- Submit your applications here.
- Applications close by Thursday, October 31, 2019, midnight.