The Society of Book and Magazine Editors of Nigeria (SBMEN) will be holding another career-changing editing workshop in September, 2019. This upcoming workshop will be its third for the year.
This edition has been themed: The Fundamentals of Fiction and Non-Fiction Editing.
If you have always dreamed of becoming a professional editor, here’s your chance to learn from the best editors in the industry. This course is also fantastic for creative writers who are interested in learning to edit their own work. So if you’re tired of the rejections and the bad reviews, perhaps, you should consider taking this course. It might be all you need to get your break through. Again, at the end of the course, you might find that you like the idea of making money as an editor.
According to the press release:
This workshop is valuable to established editors who desire to refresh their knowledge; budding editors eager to hone their craft; proofreaders who want to transit to developmental editing; writers looking to learn how to expertly self-edit their work and people who love literature and want to learn a new skill-set.
What areas will this course cover?
This editing workshop/ training seminar will cover a wide range of topics such as:
- The process of creative writing,
- The best practices for editing creative fiction and creative nonfiction;
- The art of managing author-editor relationships
- How to give constructive feedback;
- How to find and pursue business prospects and opportunities
- Practical experience of a professional editor.
The course has been scheduled to hold from 21 to 22 September 2019.
At this point, you’re probably wondering who the facilitators are.
This workshop will be facilitated by the following editorial experts:
- Adebukola Bassey, Founding Editor, BMS Editorial Services;
- Otosirieze Obi-Young, Deputy Editor, Brittle Paper;
- Tahirah Sagaya, Senior Editor, Quramo Publishing;
- Eghosa Imasuen, Co-founder, Narrative Landscape Press,
- and Anwuli Ojogwu, ED/co-founder, SBMEN.
- The guest expert is Cheluchi Onyemelukwe-Onuobia, the author of The Son of the House (2019), which has recently been received with wide acclaim by international critics.
The workshop will be delivered through lectures, interactive sessions, class exercises, case studies, and breakout sessions.
Editors and writers from all over the world are encouraged to apply. There are no geographical restrictions.
So, are you ready to learn The Fundamentals of Fiction and Non-Fiction Editing? Here are the application guidelines.
- Send an e-mail to: email@example.com
- Alternatively, you can send a WhatsApp message to 08120055823.
- To learn more about SBMEN, visit www.sbmen.org.ng
The Society for Book and Magazine Editors of Nigeria (SBMEN) is a new educational and professional association that represents and supports aspiring and existing editorial professionals to develop editorial skills that meet global best practices. It is also extended to other professionals who work within publications, broadcasting, digital media, legal services, communications, public relations and academia. The organisation provides training and resources for professionals to increase their proficiency in editing.