The 2019 International Gio Peace Essay Contest for Young People has opened for submissions. If you’re a prolific writer under the age of 25, you might be interested in applying for this Goi Peace Foundation-organized free-to-enter contest. This is the 20th edition of the contest. To commemorate this special edition, the organizers have chosen a special theme: “Creating a Society Full of Kindness.” Deadline for applications is June 15, 2019 (23:59 your local time).
“Creating a Society Full of Kindness”
What does “Kindness” mean to you? How do you think we can create a kinder society?
Carry out ten acts of kindness, and then use your experience as inspiration in writing your essay (your essay does not need to be about your acts of kindness).
Click to read Essay Writing Tips: How To Write The Perfect Essay
- There are no geographical restrictions. Writers from all over the world are welcome to apply.
- Entrants must be within the ages specified in the age categories:
- a) Children (ages up to 14)
- b) Youth (ages 15 – 25)
- Essays must not exceed the word limit of 700 words.
- Only essays written in the following languages will be considered: English, French, Spanish or German, or 1600 characters or less in Japanese. (Please note that the aforementioned word count does not include the essay title and cover page. Essays may be typed or printed.
- Essays must be written by one person. No co-authored essays please.
- Only 100% unique and unpublished essays will be considered.
How To Apply:
- Applications can be sent via post. Postal address is:
International Essay Contest c/o The Goi Peace Foundation
1-4-5 Hirakawacho, Chiyoda-ku, Tokyo 102-0093, Japan
- Entries submitted by postal mail must include a cover page indicating
(1) your name (2) category (Children or Youth) (3) age as of June 15, 2019 (4) gender (5) nationality (6) address (7) e-mail (8) phone number (9) school name (if applicable) (10) your essay title (11) language (12) word count (13) list of ten acts of kindness you performed (describe briefly).
- Electronic submissions are welcome too. To submit your application online, you must fill this online registration page
- Teachers and youth directors may send a collection of essays from their school or organization. List the details of all the entrants.*A cover page template is available to download. You may also create your own cover page with all items (1)-(13) above.
The following awards will be given in the Children’s category and Youth category respectively:
1st Prize: Certificate, prize of 100,000 Yen (approx. US$900 as of Feb. 2019) … 1 entrant
2nd Prize: Certificate, prize of 50,000 Yen (approx. US$450 as of Feb. 2019) and gift … 2 entrants
3rd Prize: Certificate and gift … 5 entrants
Honorable Mention: Certificate and gift … 25 entrants
* 1st prize winners will be invited to the award ceremony to be held in Tokyo, Japan on November 23, 2019 and will receive the Minister of Education Award. (Travel expenses will be covered by the organizer.)
* Additional awards (Recognition for Effort, Best School Award, School Incentive Award) will be given if applicable.
* All prize winners will be announced on October 31, 2019 on this website. Certificates and gifts will be mailed to the winners in December 2019.