The Goethe-Institut’s Afro Young Adult Short Story contest has open for submissions. Prizes will be awarded to YA writers of African descent whose submitted stories show remarkable talent and creativity. Feel free to get unique story ideas from our list of inspirational podcasts.
Rules and Guidelines:
- Stories must be between 3000 and 5000 words
- Only short stories will be accepted. (Learn from our short story writing tips Here and Here)
- Writers must be from an African country.
- Entries can be in Kiswahili, English or French.
- Deadline for submissions: 30 November, 2018
Shortlisted stories will be published in the Afroyoungadult anthology.
Shortlisted authors will also be invited to participate in a creative writing workshop, slated to hold in February 2019.
The anthology will be available in Kiswahili, English, and French, and launched at the Ake Festival in 2019 .
How To Apply:
Send your short story
via email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Don’t forget to include a short biography and your choice of city for the workshop.
The workshops will hold in the following languages and cities:
- KISWAHILI: Dar es Salaam, Tanzania.
2. FRENCH: Lome, Togo; Dakar, Senegal.
3. ENGLISH: Accra, Ghana; Kigali, Rwanda; Lagos, Nigeria; Nairobi, Kenya; Johannesburg, South Africa.
The shortlist will be published on the 3rd of January, 2019. The workshops are scheduled to hold between 11th February to 15th February, 2019.
If you won’t be available to travel to attend the creative writing
workshop, you may want to reconsider applying for this contest.
For more information, email: email@example.com.