The Hektoen Journal of Medical humanities is currently accepting entries for its International Summer Essay Contest. All essays must explore the theme of Food and the Body. Essays should explore food and drink within the context of health and the body, from the perspective of the humanities.
The essay organizers published a list of suggested topics.
- the history of food, famine, or drought in ancient or contemporary societies;
- food and body image as portrayed in art and literature;
- the ethics of healthcare pertaining to issues of diet and weight;
- cultural perspectives on food, the body, and health.
Note that the following topics are only suggestions. They shouldn’t limit you. Feel free to choose other topics. Want more inspiration, try the food chain podcast. It has been explained in our list of writing resources. Find more of these writing ideas HERE.
Prizes and Awards:
- First Prize winner will get a cash award of $2500
- The runner-up will receive a cash award of $800
- Winners will be announced on the front page of the Winter 2019 issue of the Hektoen Journal of Medical humanities.
- Essays will be published and shared widely
Rules and Guidelines:
- Participants must be at least 18 years or older
- Word Count: Essays must not exceed the 1600 word count
- Deadline for application: 14th September, 2018
- Submit only unpublished, original work that relates medicine to the humanities
- You can send ultiple entries
How To Apply
- All entries must be submitted via email to: firstname.lastname@example.org by Friday, September 14, 2018, at 12pm Central Time. All late submissions will be disqualified.
- All inquiries should be sent to email@example.com.
- Please follow their article and image guidelines, including a cover page and proper formatting of both text and images.
Don’t be in a hurry to submit. Take some time to learn to write a perfect essay,
Articles must include:
- A cover page with:
- Author(s) names, titles/degrees, professional affiliation, and location (as you would like it listed in the journal)
- A biography no longer than 100 words
- The author’s contact information
- Food and the body essay with:
- The title and page numbers in the document header
- The entire article in Times New Roman, size 12 font. Please double-space the articles. Use the Chicago manual of style (chicagomanualofstyle.org)
- References for quoted and cited material formatted according to the Chicago Manual of Style or AMA Manual of Style, with the endnotes in numerical order.
Submissions must be emailed as a Microsoft Word document attachment. Edit the document title to include the author’s last name followed by the title (or abbreviated title).
For example, the article “Ancient Food Practices Of Africans” by Amandi Madu, would be saved as: Madu_AncientFoodPracticesOfAfricans.doc
Please include at least one image that complements the article being submitted. Rights to images must be acquired by the author prior to submission.
Images must be:
- High quality and saved as a .JPG
- Titled by author’s surname and short article name. Follow example used in the article formatting guidelines.